If you’re in the market for a new lawn mower, it is important to take the time to figure out what type of lawn mower you need. A good lawn mower will make your job easier, faster, and more efficient, and will run well for many years to come without too much maintenance. You don’t want to just walk into a lawn mower sale and pick the first unit you see. There are several key types of lawn mowers, including riding lawn mowers, walk-behind lawn mowers, and tow-behind lawn mowers. Which type do you need?
- Walk-Behind Lawn Mowers. The manual lawn mower is probably the most common choice for small- and medium-sized suburban lawns. Many different options are available for power. You can choose an electric lawn mower, or a gas-powered model. Some models are cordless, while others are not.
- Tow-Behind Lawn Mowers. These lawn mowers are designed to be hooked up to a tractor or ATV, and are great for mowing large areas like fields or golf course fairways. Most buyers will not be in the market for a tow-behind lawn mower, but it all depends on your situation and needs. They are perfect as commercial lawn mowers.
- Riding Lawn Mowers. A riding lawn mower is ideal if you do not want to walk or push a mower, whether for health reasons or just general preference. These are great for any size of lawn, but especially for medium to large spaces. There are four different, common types of riding lawn mowers, including garden tractors, lawn tractors, rear-engine riders, and zero turn lawn mowers. Read riding lawn mower reviews to find the best riding lawn mower. To save money, consider searching for used riding lawn mowers for sale. Used lawn mowers on sale are often great deals.
Here are some features and factors to consider when you are shopping for the right lawn mower:
- Size. If you have a small lawn, a push mower is probably going to be the best lawn mower for the job. A riding mower may be too large and unwieldy (unless you need it).
- Power Source. Consider the pros and cons of a gas or electric lawn mower before you commit to a model. Electric lawn mowers are most common, and many customers find electric lawn mowers most convenient. Reading gas and electric lawn mower reviews can help you decide.
- Reel or Rotary Blades. There are two main types of blades used on lawn mowers, rotary and reel. Reel mowers have a fixed blade and a set of revolving blades that pass over it to cut grass. This is typical on push mowers. It is perfect if you want to cut your grass really short. Rotary motors on the other hand have a housing which contains a rotating blade. The benefit is that you save costs purchasing a rotary mower, and they are also valued for their ease-of-use.
- Discharge Options. What do mowers do with all that cut grass they generate? Some discharge it to the side, while others do it to the rear. Models may be designed with bags to collect the clippings or not. Units that do not include bags often are designed to mulch as they go. Since the grass is cut finely, it can decompose easily and fertilize the lawn instead of damaging it. Mulchers are not able to cut grass quite as short as non-mulching models. They are also ideal for dry lawns.
- Robotic Lawn Mowers and Hover Models. Times are moving along, and technology is moving right along as well. Now you can purchase a robotic lawn mower which can navigate the lawn all on its own and cut it without your guidance. Hover mowers actually float flat above the ground as they cut. These remote control lawn mower models are quite advanced and convenient.
- Deck Leveling. This is a feature to consider when you are shopping for a riding lawn mower. With deck leveling, you are able to adjust your blades to keep them even with the ground.
- Self-Propulsion. In a push lawn mower, this feature enables the mower to push itself along with minimal effort exerted by the person using it. Several different speed settings may be available for a manual lawn mower.
- Rear-Wheel vs. Front-Wheel Drive. A rear-wheel push lawn mower is easier to maneuver than a front-wheel model.
- Accessories. Some lawn mowers may come with a lawn mower blade sharpener or other useful tools to maintain quality.
Now that you know about the features to look for in lawn mowers, you will be able to read through customer lawn mower reviews to find the best lawn mower for your needs. Whether you are shopping for new or used lawn mowers (buying used is the best way to get cheap lawn mowers), you will be able to get the best value by finding a gas or electric lawn mower that suits your purposes. You can also shop online for lawn mower parts to maintain your mower. You may even be able to find a great remote control lawn mower for a low price. The best units which you can get the most life out of will have easily replaceable parts.
Lawn Mower Reviews
Let’s take a look at some of the best lawn mower brands for cheap lawn mowers and more. Whether you are in the market for a push lawn mower, a riding lawn mower, a cordless lawn mower, or a robotic lawn mower, you will find a variety of great options online.
Black and Decker Lawn Mower
Black and Decker is one of our favorite brands, not just for lawn mowers, but for many different tools. We have a number of lawn mowers to recommend in their product line, starting with the Black & Decker CM1836 18-Inch 36-Volt Cordless Electric Lawn Mower. This model sells in the $250 to $450 range, is a push lawn mower with excellent customer electric lawn mower reviews. We also recommend the Black & Decker CM1936 19-Inch 36-Volt Cordless Electric Lawn Mower with Removable Battery. This Black and Decker Electric Mower is slightly more expensive in the $400 to $500 range, and likewise is highly rated by customers. Also check into the Black & Decker SPCM1936 19-Inch 36-Volt Cordless Electric Self-Propelled Lawn Mower with Removable Battery. For a corded model, look into the Black & Decker MM1800 18-Inch 12-Amp Corded Electric Lawn Mower.
Next on our list is the Black & Decker LE750 2.25-HP Edge Hog Electric Lawn Edger. The Black and Decker Grass Hog is one of the highest-rated lawn mowers we have seen, and is substantially less expensive than most mowers, retailing between $80 and $180. Also check out the Black & Decker LM175 18-Inch 6.5-Amp Electric Mower for another highly-rated option. This mower is more expensive, costing around $140 to $200. Similar models include the Black & Decker MM875 Lawn Hog 19-Inch 12-Amp Electric Mulching Mower with Rear Bag and the Black & Decker NST2118 12-Inch 18-Volt Ni-Cd Cordless Electric Grass Hog String Trimmer/Edger.
Looking for a hedge trimmer? The Black & Decker LST136 13-Inch 36-Volt Lithium Ion Cordless High Performance String Trimmer is a great choice around $130 to $170. This Black and Decker Hedge Trimmer is highly ranked by customers, and delivers powerful trimming performance. Another good hedge trimmer is the Black & Decker LST220 20-Volt Lithium-Ion Trimmer/Edger.
Fiskars Reel Mower
We can recommend two mowers by Fiskars. The Fiskars 6201 18-Inch Staysharp Max Push Reel Lawn Mower sells for $200 to $250, and is small and easy to push with advanced InertiaDrive. The Fiskars 6208 17-Inch Staysharp Push Reel Lawn Mower costs $170-$200, and is also designed to be easy to push and maneuver.
Greenworks Lawn Mower
Greenworks is a brand which makes a number of great products. If you are looking for a great Greenworks Mower, we suggest that you check out the GreenWorks 25022 12-Amp 20-in 3-in-1 Electric Lawn Mower or the GreenWorks 25112 21-Inch 13-Amp Electric Lawn Mower 3-in-1. If you want to try a corded model, the GreenWorks 25142 10-Amp Corded 16-Inch Mower is worth a look. For trimming, the GreenWorks 21212 4-Amp 13″ Corded String Trimmer is a top notch model.
What are some other exciting GreenWorks mowers to consider? The GreenWorks 27022 10-Amp 14″ Corded Dethatcher is very highly ranked, and retails in the $100 to $200 price bracket. The GreenWorks 25312 G-MAX Mower 40V 4 AH Li-Ion Battery and Charger Inc is a more expensive model, running $420 to $460, but it comes with a convenient collection bag at the rear, as well as the option to mulch and discharge from the side. The GreenWorks 25292 40-Volt 4-Amp Hour Lithium Ion 19-Inch Lawn Mower is a similar unit offering excellent performance.
Husqvarna Lawn Mower
Husqvarna Mowers are some of our favorite riding lawn mowers for sale. Any one of these could be the best riding lawn mower for you. There are a number of different options if you are in the market for a Husqvarna Riding Lawn Mower with high-quality lawn mower tires. For example, the Husqvarna 5521P 21-Inch 140cc Briggs & Stratton Gas Powered 3-in-1 Push Lawn Mower with High Rear Wheels costs around $270 and provides excellent rear-wheel steering and maneuverability.
Another similar riding lawn mower for sale is the Husqvarna 7021P 21-Inch 160cc Honda GCV160 Gas Powered 3-N-1 Push Lawn Mower With High Rear Wheels (CARB Compliant) and sells for around $290. The Husqvarna 7021R 21-Inch 160cc Honda GCV160 3-In-1 RWD Self-Propelled Lawn Mower (CARB Compliant) has excellent riding lawn mower reviews. And don’t overlook the Husqvarna HU800AWD 961450011 Self-Propelled 3-In-1 Lawn Mower All-Wheel Drive Variable-Speed 22-Inch which sells at around $470.
There are a few more to check out. If you are shopping for zero turn lawn mowers, look into the Husqvarna RZ5424 54-Inch 24 HP Kohler Gas Powered Zero Turn Riding Lawn Mower. Also good is the Husqvarna YTH2042 42-Inch 540cc 20 HP Briggs & Stratton Intek Lever Activated Hydrostatic Transmission Riding Lawn Tractor. One more to consider is the Husqvarna YTH23V48-CA 48-Inch 724cc 23 HP Briggs & Stratton Intek V-Twin Pedal Activated Hydrostatic Transmission Riding Lawn Tractor (CARB Compliant). Looking for cheap riding lawn mowers? Consider purchasing one of these models used at a riding lawn mower sale.
Lawn Boy Mowers
An exciting mower by this brand is the Lawn Boy 10632 Self Propel HW Lawn Mower 20-Inch. This electric lawn mower retails for around $240 to $290, and has great features like multinotched lawn mower blades and rear wheel drive.
Poulan Pro Lawn Mower
We were impressed by a couple of different models in the Poulan line. The Poulan Pro PR500N21SH High-Wheel Side Discharge/Mulch Push Mower 21-Inch costs around $250, and includes a powerful engine and mulching capabilities. The Poulan Pro PR625Y22RKP 22-Inch 190cc Briggs & Stratton 625 Series Gas Powered Side Discharge/Mulch/Bag FWD Self Propelled Lawn Mower with Electric Start is a great unit which has been discontinued but still available to buy on Amazon.com. It is also something to investigate when you are shopping for used lawn mowers for sale.
Scotts Lawn Mower
The Scotts 2000-20S 20-Inch Great States Classic Reel Mower is simple and lightweight, and costs between $100 to $250. You can choose from nine different grass heights, and the five steel lawn mower blades are heat treated and incredibly effective. This unit comes with a two-year warranty.
Snapper Lawn Mowers
The Snapper NXT2346 46″ 23HP Lawn Tractor is our choice for something to shop for at a riding lawn mower sale that really is going to deliver. Snapper Mowers have a great reputation for quality, particularly this Snapper Riding Mower, which has outstanding lawn mower tires. If you are looking for cheap riding lawn mowers, try looking for this one used. Snapper uses high quality lawn mower parts and builds a great product.
Toro Lawn Mower
There are several Toro Mowers and accessories which are worth a look. For a high-quality electric lawn mower, look at the Toro 20360 e-Cycler 20-Inch 36-Volt Cordless Electric Lawn Mower. This is one of the most popular Toro Lawn Mowers out there. For a blower, have a look at the Toro 51585 160-MPH Power Sweep Electric Blower or the Toro 51609 Ultra 12-Amp Variable-Speed (up to 235) Electric Blower/Vacuum with Metal Impeller.
Worx Lawn Mower
Finally, one more brand we like a lot is Worx. They have many of the best lawn mowers for sale. Here we can recommend the WORX WG775 Lil’Mo 14-Inch 24-Volt Cordless Lawn Mower with Removable Battery and Grass Collection Bag or the WORX WG788 19-Inch 36-Volt Cordless 3-In-1 Lawn Mower with Removable Battery & IntelliCut. The IntelliCut series with the WORX WG782 14-Inch 24-Volt Cordless Lawn Mower with IntelliCut, WORX WG787 17-Inch 24-Volt Cordless Lawn Mower with IntelliCut which costs around $330, or the WORX WG789 19-Inch 36-Volt Cordless PaceSetter Self Propelled 3-In-1 Lawn Mower With Removable Battery & IntelliCut is also very exciting. Note that the WG787 17-inch has been discontinued, so that may be a good option if you are shopping for used lawn mowers for sale.
Now you know some of the best riding lawn mowers for sale in a variety of categories. Used lawn mowers and commercial lawn mowers can both offer great performance. Whenever you search for used riding lawn mowers for sale, make sure you do not compromise on quality for price. Many new lawn mowers on sale are also available online. Shop for a unit with lawn mower parts which are high in quality and easy to replace. Pay close attention to the lawn mower battery. If the lawn mower battery performs well, it can really augment the value of the machine. Also consider buying some accessories like a lawn mower blade sharpener to help you get the most out of your purchase.